As you age, your metabolism slows down and you become less active, which can lead to weight gain. These extra pounds can show up all over your body - including your face.
A double chin can be caused by loose skin or obesity, or you might have just lost the genetic lottery. Whatever the case may be, it's not easy to get rid of excess facial fat. You can lose weight through exercise and proper diet choices, but those extra pounds around your face are next to impossible to get rid of or conceal.
However, all hope is not lost. Facial yoga exercises can help to supplement your healthy dietary and lifestyle choices. They improve blood flow to the face, work the neck muscles and tone the jawline. So, even though you can't control aging or other factors that lead to a double chin, you can take active steps to try and stay fit - which might just give you the chiseled jawline you've always wanted!
However, where to start can be confusing. After all, yoga is a centuries-old art and science. That’s why we’ve narrowed this article down to the essentials. Now all you need is some consistency and patience to get a perfectly chiseled jawline in no time.
Please follow along, and don’t be afraid to try some of these drills even as you read –we promise it's worth the effort!
Simha Mudra (Lion’s breath)
You can perform this exercise while sitting or standing. However, it may require some privacy because you’ll make some funny facial expressions and noise while doing it.
Increases blood flow to the neck, face and brain for enhanced focus. It also irons out wrinkles and fine lines on the face.
- First sit in normal cross leg position (SIDDHASANA) with your hands on your knees with your fingers outstretched
- Open and keep your mouth wide open
- Open your eyes as wide as possible
- Bring your chin close to your chest
- Stick your tongue all the way out
- Let out the best lion roar you can master (don’t be afraid to be loud)
- Inhale as you close your mouth and release the pose
Hold this pose for up to 20 seconds and repeat the procedure 10 times or as much as possible.. This enhances the flow of Chakra and Mudra energy to other parts of your body.
Jivha Bandha (Locked Tongue Pose)
It helps to think of Jivha Bandha as an inverted Simha Mudra. So, you can perform it after the lion's breath pose to balance your chakra and positive energy flow.
It helps workout your neck and tongue muscles while reducing fat accumulation in such trouble spots. It’s even believed to help with stuttering and other speech impediments.
- Shut your mouth
- Tip of the tongue is touching the root of your upper front teeth
- Touch your upper palette with your tongue. With the tip of the tongue touching the root of your upper front teeth
- Open your mouth slowly without moving your tongue from that position
- Close your eyes and tilt your head up as far up as possible
- Break out of the pose by releasing and relaxing your tongue
- Shut your mouth
- Repeat 3 times or more
Hold the pose for at least 20 seconds with each repetition to maximize stretching and blood circulation. It is also advisable to perform this drill while sitting in an upright chair that supports your back if you get dizzy from when you feel the burn.
Smiling Fish Face pose
This is one of the easiest and most used facial yoga exercises. It offers a simple way to increase resistance in facial muscles, which can reduce double chin in a shorter time.
The pose helps to smooth out wrinkles and soften lines, giving the face a more youthful appearance.
- Suck in those cheeks until your lips make a pouty fish-like expression
- Hold the pose for 30 to 40 seconds
- Repeat as much as you can
You can vary this workout by holding your cheeks in position for up to 90 seconds. Smiling between repetitions also stimulates blood flow and muscle contractions that help tone your jawline faster.
Jalandhara Bandha (Chin lock)
Start by sitting in the lotus position or some variation of it. You can do this by criss crossing your legs and resting your hands on your knees.
To tone your jawline and face muscles. It also gives you a light ab workout!
- Take a deep breath while pulling your gut in
- Hold your breath
- Gently bend your head down moving your chin towards your chest
- Maintain this pose for up to 5 seconds
- Hold the stance for as long as you're comfortable
- Raise your chin, and exhale slowly through your nose.
Repeat this procedure 15 to 20 times for the best results. You can also shrug or rotate your shoulders to increase blood flow to your neck and get more out of this facial yoga exercise.
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
The camel pose comes highly recommended for those days you feel lazy and unwilling to get up. It stimulates slow neck movements that also burn the fat from your neck while strengthening your jawline.
Work out the knots and tension in your entire body while sculpting your jawline to prevent a double chin.
- Kneel on the floor
- Keep your thighs upright, relative to your calf muscles
- Rest both your hands on your lower back
- Take a quick breath and exhale as you tighten your gut
- Slowly bend backward as you feel the tension rise
- Now touch your heels with both hands
Repeat the procedure at least twice, ensuring you hold your heels for up to a minute with each rep. Once you get the hang of things, you can perform up to 15 reps to help you get closer to your weight loss goals.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This pose is a form of Surya Namaskar. Surya translates to "the sun," while namaskar is a greeting. So it means saying hello to the sun and is a great way to harness the sun’s chakra or energy for a holistic workout.
Burn double chin while stretching your back and correcting your posture. It also improves blood flow to your body's neck and other muscles.
- Lay on your belly as you raise your neck slightly
- Ensure your hips and belly touch the floor
- Inhale deeply
- Bring both the hands by the sides of the chest
- Raise your head and chest by gently pressing down with your hands and moving your shoulders back and down like a cobra raising, ready to attack
- Get your arms as straight as you can while maintaining your shoulders down and back. But make sure your elbows are at least somewhat bent.
- To get out of the pose, exhale and lower your upper body slowly
Hold the pose for up to 30 seconds and repeat it 5 times in each session. Ensure to keep those shoulders pushed back to maximize the effect. You can also look up to stretch your back and neck muscles.
The Mouth Wash Technique
The beauty of this yoga technique is that you probably use it without knowing it daily. And you don’t even have to fill your mouth with a liquid to get it right!
Tighten droopy facial skin while strengthening cheek and jawline muscles.
- Fill your mouth with air
- Pretend you're swishing mouthwash and rinsing your mouth
- Force all the air to your right cheek
- Then, to the left and middle
- Keep at it for 30 to 40 seconds
- Spit it out
- Take another gulp of air
- Repeat 4 to 5 times
These yoga poses offer a simple yet effective way to target your jawline, unlike any other gym workouts. But, as mentioned, it may take a while to see satisfying results.
For a faster and more noticeable transformation, consider using CHISELL jawline high-resistance tabs. These tools are designed specifically to help tone your jawline, so you can achieve the chiseled look you desire. Check out our website now for exclusive deals and learn more about how these tabs can help you get the beautiful jawline you’ve always wanted